This salad has a cult-like following with our regular guests, we thought we would share the recipe to dazzle your guests at your next dinner party…
BUFALA TOMATO SALAD (Serves 4)
4 perfectly ripe large tomatoes (vine-ripened preferred)
8 oz. mozzarella di bufala
4 fresh basil leaves
1 tbsp. shallots, shaved
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil (our chef’s favorite is Alziari – click here for more info.)
1 tsp. chive oil
2 tsp. truffle oil
1 tsp. truffle vinegar
white & black sea salt – (our chefs use: Salty Wahine sea salt from Kauai – click here for more info.)
To prep the tomato for this salad here are our steps:
- remove stem of the tomato.
- cross cut the top of tomato skin 1/2 inch wide (just the skin, not deep)
- drop tomato in rapidly boiling water for 20-30 seconds, remove immediately and plunge in a bowl of ice cubes and water to cool.
- remove from water and peel tomato.
- using method above, peel tomato and season with salt and pepper.
- place in bowl with olive oil and shallots and marinate, refrigerate for one hour.
- slice mozzarella and marinate in olive oil, basil, salt and pepper.
- slice bottom of tomato so it will rest flat on the plate and then slice tomato in the thirds.
- alternate tomato and cheese.
- top with shaved shallot, truffle oil, truffle vinegar and chive oil.
- garnish with basil leaf.